Although most dog owners are aware that chocolate is toxic to dogs, not everyone is aware of the extent to which chocolate is hazardous and how it is toxic. As a responsible dog owner, you must know how much chocolate is dangerous and how to treat your dog if he consumes too much chocolate.
Chocolate is toxic to dogs for a variety of reasons. The high fat content of chocolate and chocolate-based sweets can trigger pancreatitis in dogs in many circumstances. Although there is no exact amount of fat that causes pancreatitis, any dog that consumes a substantial amount of fat in a short period of time is at risk. Chocolate isn't the only food that can cause pancreatitis; any high-fat dish can cause it. Meats, cheeses, and other high-fat foods fall under this category.
Chocolate itself is toxic because it contains caffeine and theobromine, two chemicals known as methylxanthines. These chemicals can cause problems in dogs that range from mild to severe:
Signs of chocolate toxicity typically appear within about one to four hours of ingestion. This can vary based on your dog's metabolism and the amount of food and water ingested that day.
Chocolate's toxicity in dogs is determined by two factors: the amount of methylxanthines consumed and the dog's size. The higher the proportion of methylxanthines in chocolate, the darker it is. A large breed dog, for example, is unlikely to be injured by consuming a bar of milk chocolate. A tiny toy breed, on the other hand, may become quite unwell after eating just a bite of baking chocolate.
Mild to moderate toxic effects of methylxanthines in dogs can appear after a dog ingests as little as 20mg/kg, or 9mg/pound of body weight. Severe effects generally begin to appear when a dog ingests over 40mg/kg of methylxanthines.
Assuming you think your dog has eaten chocolate, first attempt to decide the sort of chocolate and the sum eaten. Then, at that point, call your veterinarian. If it's late night, attempt to arrive at a 24-hour crisis vet in your area.
On the off chance that you are uncertain whether your canine has eaten sufficient chocolate to become ill, make certain to contact your vet right away. No two canines are something very similar, so the sums recorded here are generally approximations. There is no space for mystery with regards to your canine's wellbeing.
If your vet thinks your canine has ingested sufficient chocolate to be harmed, you may have to actuate vomiting. This will not be effective to avoid toxicity if it has been more than about an hour since your dog ate the chocolate and should never be attempted if your dogs is already acting sick.
You might have the option to incite heaving at home utilizing new hydrogen peroxide. However, your vet has drugs that can prompt regurgitating substantially more rapidly and actually that hydrogen peroxide. What's more, in the event that your canine has ingested a harmful measure of chocolate, extra treatment including intravenous liquids, organization of initiated charcoal, and organization of drugs to control manifestations like heaving, quakes, and raised pulse and circulatory strain may likewise be needed. While it's smart to continuously keep a container of unopened, unexpired hydrogen peroxide available if there should be an occurrence of crisis, it is generally best, to bring your pet straight to your vet except if you are far away and can't get your pet there on schedule for inciting spewing to be powerful.
Good news — we've got answers. If you don't see what you're looking for send us a message.Get in touch
Claim your FREE 20% off coupon. You can use to get 20% off your next purchase.
Simply enter your email address below and we'll send it straight to your inbox.